Skip to main content

Photoshop

The task assigned required the use of photoshop to apply material textures onto our models to add a sense of realism. Only three images were required are deliverables, however I was astounded by the potential this offered so I opted to do many more to improve my as well as the quality of my submissions. Here’s my best three transformations,







To arrive at these three was a vast learning experience, one which I think is best documented within many of the output images themselves. Originally, I started out working with simpler models, practicing with the multiply and scale tools.






Quick Tip: The Multiply tool is gorgeous and saves a lot of time when it comes to adjusting the luminosity and adding shadows, but it relies on the darkness of the object being multiplied. Try to include dark woods/textures over white models for the best and easiest results.

Bonus Tip: When using multiple panelled materials look for seamless textures, these may be lower in resolution and harder to find but they can be tiles continuously and infinitely. I find that it this works best when multiple images are individually tiled and then the layers merged, simply because of the enhanced perspectival effect.

Once I moved onto photoshopping carboard models I found it immensely difficult to use the multiply tool due to the dark brown of the original material and so I slowly practiced manually adding shadows, adjusting colour balances and changing luminosities.




Felling more confident with the perspectival stretching, my final phase was marked by the addition of background scenery to envision the context of my models.

All of theses pictures mark esstential steps towards developing the necessary skills to create my final images, whilst also improving the overall presentability of my models and submission, making this excerise one of the most rewarding experiences through out my university education. The importance and power of post production is an insight that I hope will retain for many years to come. Anyways, which picture did you like best? Were you surprised by the transfromations, would you like to see any more raw photos? Let me know, in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evidence of Submission

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/embed/4ae9704e-23b1-47bd-8738-1d44680d980d Note: The originial size of my Sketch-Up file was 100MB which exceeded the 45MB allowable upload limit for 3D Warehouse. However when made to upload the file, Sketch Up automatically adjuested the file size to within the requirements, I am unware of the process by which this was done and so can not attest for the quality of the final model in relation to the model which is visible infront of me the author. To download the original model please click the google drive link below, taking care to download both the .skp and .skb files before opening. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yvdMAz2PMUxV0mcoWn6G9GlERUjdHA70

By: Sehaj Walia

My name is Sehaj. I study civil engineering with architecture at UNSW. I don’t want to scare you away! But I prefer you experience this blog personally and intimately. I post for expression, and your viewing pleasure, it’s quite exiting! This will grow as I do, so I extend you an invitation take a look around, make yourselves at home and interact, with what’s on show! To those of you kind enough, I invite you to click the posts and read between the lines(literally!) Hi! My name is Sehaj . I study civil engineering with architecture at UNSW . I am slowly increasing my sentence length for your comfort. As this description goes on my sentences will exponentiate, becoming increasingly complex and intricately detailed. But until then I write simply. This is because I don’t want to scare you away! As we progress, I’d have you note the decreasing formalcy of my tone. Cause I’d prefer you experience this blog personally and intimately . As is...

Cardboard Model Making

This blog post details my procedure for making an archtiectual model of my room thorugh snapshots of the desgin process. This model is made cardboard on a 1: 20 scale. The model itself was initially glued together but due to the thick corrugation the glue started to seep in and lose strength, as a result tape was added for extra reinforcement.